Mammoth Mine overlooks Central City from atop Mammoth Hill. In the distance you can make out Coeur d’Alene Mine (red), which operated from 1885 through 1940.
These houses were built for the use of the lighthouse keepers in 1913 (left) and 1916 (right). The second house was added when the entry added a fourth light and required a second rotation. Today, there are no unbroken windows in either building.
The cemetery for the old asylum is, sadly, largely unmarked. Only in recent years has there been a real effort to locate and identify the remains there.
This mean-looking thing had a purpose, probably, but that function has been lost to decades of expansion.
Wyoming has Montana’s ‘big sky’ reputation truly challenged.
The two antennae are retracted–the position they would be in if the base was under attack.
From the highest roof of Ogvilvie’s, Thunder Bay looks like paradise.
The screen and mineral stained window cross-processed the sky.
This is a great example of a combination rock house; the silos below used to fill trains with ore dropped from mine cars pulled to the top of the structure.