Looking across the catwalk attache to the elevated control room, in charge of the train dumping part of the operation.
Approaching the power station and its giant stack. The stack replaced four shorter stacks in the 1960s, helping with pollution in the downtown corridor.
Looking into the coke batteries in the extant oven… chunks of coke are still hanging from the inner walls, despite the exterior’s wrecking ball pummeling.
Near the base of the mesa is a modern house, which seems to be a ranch of some sort. What a fantastic spot to live, but for the fact every rainstorm floods the arryos, muddy ditches at the bottom of gullies, making it impossible to travel.
These houses were built for the use of the lighthouse keepers in 1913 (left) and 1916 (right). The second house was added when the entry added a fourth light and required a second rotation. Today, there are no unbroken windows in either building.
The St. Louis County Sheriff constantly patrols the property looking for trespassers.
Looking toward downtown, one is reminded that when Stahlmann built here in 1855 that it was on the very edge of the city.
One of the covered rail loading docks. All of them were overgrown and rust-clad.
The hike to the village is steep. This is looking into the valley from the halfway point.