Cauterized wounds on the factory floor, where the middle of the newer mill opens up to allow massive equipment. Now the pipes are cut and the equipment is gone.
The stock house tanks were long scrapped for their steel, but what remains gives a sense of what it looked like.
Made by the Mergenthalen Linotype Company of New York, this model series (300) was introduced in 1960 and boasted a 12-line-per-minute reproduction rate.
There is a flipped tram car about a third of the way down the cliff.
The Beeghley was launched in 1958… you can see it unloading limestone here with its retrofitted self-unloader. Update: This ship has been renamed the ‘James L. Oberstar’ after the Minnesota Senator. [Read more on Boardnerd.com here: http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/oberstar.htm]
The last trace of Mitchell, Minnesota is a pile of cans on the side of the main street, Mitchell Avenue. These will be recognizable for another century or so, for future history-minded explorers.
This concrete sections supported a coal tower that loaded the larry.
There isn’t an unbroken window in the entire historic complex as of 2013.
Looking at the tallest part of the plant from a skeletal loading dock. Kodak Portra 160/Mamiya 6.