Looking out the second-floor lighthouse office window. On this visit, the last ice of the season was slowly drifting into the harbor.
The power lines follow the street, down to the mineshaft. Everything revolved around the mine, it seemed.
The old boilers of the steam plant have been mostly gutted to remove loose asbestos.
Behind the barge unloader (a Webster for those grain tech nerds out here) that used to extract grain from docked boats. The ladders are fun to climb, even though they get warped and wavy in places. High in the elevator would have been a crane engine that would lift the unloader, packed with a bucket conveyor, while workers would manipulate the direction of the spout with ropes manually. The buckets would rotate, scraping and elevating the grain into the silos above. It’s a rare piece of equipment for the Great Lakes.
A damaged roof channeled rain onto the adobe walls, cutting them in half. In the distance, a preserved house and the ruins of the Colmor School.
A fireproof room in the basement, perhaps for ammunition storage at one time.
Heavy steel doors to isolate the underground magnetic separation mill from Eagle Mine’s main tunnel.
In the corner of most of the factory floors, freight elevators flanked restrooms to leave more central space for machines and their masters.
Little has changed inside the mill, but since it was built in 1916, many tanks and ancillary buildings have popped up around it.