Looking past the hoist room (left) toward Shaft No. 1, behind the concrete head frame built in the late 1940s. This shaft could haul equipment from ground level (below) to shop level, where the picture was taken.
Taconite Harbor’s main road, now overgrown and leading to nothing. Just asphalt between caved-in curbs.
The top of the annex was bare except for these holes into the silos below.
The beacon was installed in 1938 and removed in the mid-2000s.
A broken scale in Isabella A, next to an old wood stove.
On the boarded-up first floor of the house proper near the door to the chapel, the last pew sites next to a wet box of Bibles.
Windows provided the 250-some workers with fresh air and light, and helped to keep flour dust from building up in the air, helping to prevent explosions. Today, machines control air flow better without windows, so they were bricked.
Looking out of a door to nowhere at the fiery sky above.
A string of vehicles have found death at Packard recently. Usually they are simply driving up ramps and pushed off the rooftops, but this one seemed destined for a worse fate. Found in the far corner of the far building.
The sun was setting outside, highlighting the textures and lines that made the form of the power plant take a fourth dimension–time.