It is unclear whether this area was for coal dumping or ore dumping, though the huge dents in the steel plating suggests the latter.
“Against the blue sky, its rusting central silos look like rising smoke meeting the last minutes of a sunset. These give way to a corrugated night sky of blue gray, punched-through with staggered four-pane windows, all glassless.”
A passing cloud almost looks like a puff of smoke from the trimmed smokestack of Consolidated D. In the lower corner you can see a little Stonehenge that someone with a sense of humor and heavy equipment built.
This seemed to be the newest building on the property.
General Mills bought Consolidated Elevator’s “D” in 1943 and renamed it “A,” though no additional elevators have followed from that firm to date. Visible on the right is the first annex, built along with the elevator in 1909.
Parrish and Heimbecker (front) Davidson & Smith-AU-S (middle) Government (back)
Thunder Bay Elevator, now stands without a headhouse. Around the silos, a few shacks still stand.
A long exposure in the crane cab at sunset throws a bit of color into the bleak yellow glows between the windows and car shaker.
A view of the Harris offices, complete with great block glass.