Gary’s City Methodist was built in 1926, partly with funds donated by US Steel, the founder of the city and the biggest employer in the area. The church was completed when Gary was at its most populous; by 1930 more than 100,000 people called it home. After World War II, modernization at the steel mill greatly reduced the number of workers on payroll, leaving thousands without work.
Then and Now – Entrance
A pamphlet from 1967 showing the ghostic front of the church.
Sadly, this picture is dated from the fact there’s a single piece of glass unbroken. Since this was taken, the entrance to the church has been vandalized even more.
Then and Now – Altar
Looking toward the altar from the choir loft in 1929.
In its last years, the church had a congregation of only about 100. It opened with 1.700…
The layoffs were particularly painful for the African American community, which had fewer options for employment and relocation in a city that was sliding into deep decline. City Methodist is one of the thousands of buildings that was abandoned due to the economic downturn and shifting demographics–closed in 1975.