At the end of a conveyor belt and poised over a loading station, it’s easy to image the tinny sound of chicken feed sliding across the metal. Like sand on the old-fashioned stainless steel playground slides.
This seemed to be the newest building on the property.
To get more light into the wards, the building was narrow and had angular rooms, often staff space, perpendicular to the main hallway.
This wheel scoops the washings from the sluice room and places it on the tailings conveyor.
The left cave is the largest of the three, and shows the most evidence of expansion.
Too big to be scrapped, to simple to be auctioned. It waited for the demo crews and demo cranes to arrive.
General Mills bought Consolidated Elevator’s “D” in 1943 and renamed it “A,” though no additional elevators have followed from that firm to date. Visible on the right is the first annex, built along with the elevator in 1909.
Graffiti by a crew member of the Algolake.
The side of the maintenance shops, still home to several disassembled electric carts.
Part of the decommissioned plant was used by the Air Force for virtual bombing runs. This is the guard shack for the radar station.