The seminal architectural feature of the old hospital–the parts built by Illinois Central Railroad–was this staircase. Wide and graceful, adorned with paint chips and fire extinguishers, and leading from offices to surgical suites to the cafeteria.
One of the staircases that connected the lab, the plant, and the offices.
The beacon was installed in 1938 and removed in the mid-2000s.
In the mountainside are a number of air shafts, indicating where the tunnels traced under the rocky surface.
This is a room where the actual explosive elements were mixed. In the event of an accident, this glass wall would give way before the concrete and thus direct the flames and shockwave away from the rest of the building. In other words, the glass is not just to get a lot of wonderful natural light into the building.
A broken scale in Isabella A, next to an old wood stove.
This dock goes between loading bays (see glass brick walls) and the railroad.
The classic Solvay shot. Everyone has it.
One of two control towers that reached over the lake. The control panel here was used to move the conveyors over the ship’s hold doors, adjust flow of the taconite, and so on.
Judging by the bed, this room was used by employees in its later years.