Looking past the Osborn along the side of the Hughitt Slip, where there have always been grain elevators for more than 100 years.
Part of the 1917 mill that had a little bit of roof left over it–most of this building was open to the sky. The birds loved it, but everything metal was quickly becoming too unstable to walk on.
Don’t let Mitchell Engine House run out of steam…
One level below where the cotton was nitrated, the fumes must have been powerful. This floor had several massive ventilation fans in its walls.
We know what the ladies’ favorite treats were! Found holding parts on a repair cart.
A staircase threads between the top floor and the sluices, which are in the middle of the dredge-mill.
A cracked sign at dock-level, where loading boats would be tied below the taconite conveyors. All across the surface of the concrete dock were taconite pellets, like slippery little marbles. One wrong step could put a worker in the water, which is a bad, bad place to be.
Before developers saw to cut and cut the flour mills inside Pillsbury, they stood at the ready beside various purposeful chutes the traversed the floors of between sorters. These machines were belt-driven by the power of Pillsbury’s Mississippi headraces and turbines, the force of which notoriously shook the building’s foundations themselves. The wheels would change the grade of the flour, or the size of the dust produced from crushing the kernels.
The back of the neon sign before it was converted to LED lighting. The image is mirrored so it can be read.