Before Portland-Huron Cement’s Duluth Plant was (mostly) demolished and (partly) turned into a hotel, the top of its silos gave a cinematic view of elevator row.
Looking across the spired rooftop of the Kirkbride building. In the foreground is a fire chute that contains a metal spiral slide designed to evacuate patients in case of a fire. Note the ironwork on the chimney.
A panorama of the dock buildings, before the left one was demolished.
Looking out at the abandoned neighborhood around the house.
Looking toward downtown, one is reminded that when Stahlmann built here in 1855 that it was on the very edge of the city.
This gives you a sense for what it looks like to stand on the roof of the main production building at sunset.
At the extreme eastern end of the plant is a bank of modern concrete silos. Kodak Portra 160/Mamiya 6.
Wagons and horses were kept in the building on the left, separate from the rest of the complex in case of fire. In the distance is the boiler house, separate for the same reason.
The average sugar mill in 1915 consumed about 11,000 acres of sugar beets