“M.H. ’56; Al Malmsten ’44”. Brick Graffiti Series.
Unintentional art comes in the form of a beet juice slurry baffle.
In the soft wood of the machine, an employee left their mark.
Either the company was pulling parts from this evaporator to use as parts for other plants, or the last thing the workers did was to get this machine ready for the next campaign. Either way, plans changed.
One of the clusters of elevators. Doors would open on both sides so that vehicles could be moved through them if necessary. There is only one set of stairs in the whole building.
The main buildings were mostly interconnected and in good condition. The dry air helps to preserve the wooden structures.
The boilers are gone, but round brick portals remain where they used to meet the walls of the boiler room. Behind it appears to be the coal bunker itself.
Little has changed inside the mill, but since it was built in 1916, many tanks and ancillary buildings have popped up around it.