It is unclear whether this area was for coal dumping or ore dumping, though the huge dents in the steel plating suggests the latter.
This heavy door opens directly into the missile vault and was used to load and unload the missile erector.
There were three main stockhouses, two of which still exist, that are filled with tanks like these in addition to Fermentation. Each tank is the size of the city bus and few are left after the 2008-2009 scrapings.
Giant paint mixers.
The sun sets in front of a huge concrete building—about four times the size of the power plant. Probably a corn storage bin from an ethanol operation that ran here in the 1980s.
The Beeghley was launched in 1958… you can see it unloading limestone here with its retrofitted self-unloader. Update: This ship has been renamed the ‘James L. Oberstar’ after the Minnesota Senator. [Read more on Boardnerd.com here: http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/oberstar.htm]
The whole smelter ran on gravity… elevating the various raw materials and working with them until at the bottom of the furnace, copper poured out.
Chicago looks in as we look out, for holes and trolls where anything goes.
A photo from the early 2000s before the conveyors were scrapped.