A cracked sign at dock-level, where loading boats would be tied below the taconite conveyors. All across the surface of the concrete dock were taconite pellets, like slippery little marbles. One wrong step could put a worker in the water, which is a bad, bad place to be.
A ruined culvert near Oregon Creek, behind Old Main, the predecessor of the University of Minnesota-Duluth.
Between the gauges for the power plant boilers and the steam pump flywheels.
Each room is painted a different hue, so the light reflecting into the hallway carries those colors. The blue padding on the left is for one of the padded rooms…
From left to right: Saskatchewan Wheat Pool #7, Thunder Bay Elevator, Dominion, Davidson & Smith, Parrish & Heimbecker. One of four packed elevator rows.
Looking into the engine works from the concrete addition.
General Mills bought Consolidated Elevator’s “D” in 1943 and renamed it “A,” though no additional elevators have followed from that firm to date. Visible on the right is the first annex, built along with the elevator in 1909.
The lime room was in rough shape, but its colors and textures were like raw gold and oxidized copper.
Grain is taken from the bottom of the silos through a conveyor in a tunnel. These blowers keep the air in the tunnel fresh.