The beacon was installed in 1938 and removed in the mid-2000s.
Near the base of the mesa is a modern house, which seems to be a ranch of some sort. What a fantastic spot to live, but for the fact every rainstorm floods the arryos, muddy ditches at the bottom of gullies, making it impossible to travel.
The main buildings were mostly interconnected and in good condition. The dry air helps to preserve the wooden structures.
A bunk room, minus the bunks.
Presumably, in a nuclear blast the antenna would be blown flat and pop back up, allowing communication even after a near-direct hit.
Kurth bears a ghost sign. Recently, its main sign was destroyed by graffiti artists in 2015.
Two of the remaining four towers in the projects. Throughout our time there we saw and heard squatters inside and chose not to go in. What do you call a smart choice made in the midst of a dumb choice? There should be a word for that.
A century-old ghost sign for Royal House Flour was preserved after a building is built above and through it! Looking from the north annex elevator toward the headhouse.
Many outdoor areas of the plant have become unofficial city dumps. The skeleton doesn’t care.