This elevator was built in 1922 and was used until the passing rails were removed in the mid-1970s.
A long exposure in the wind, lit by airport lights.
Fantastic brick graffiti piece by a Duluthian in 1933! Is the stick drawing of a horse? Feel free to weigh in.
Left: A medium storage chamber with access to an interconnecting steam tunnel at ceiling height. This room also has various smashed toilets. Why? Because dead toilets–all of them–always find a home in a cave. Center: Steps go past a +-intersection, left goes deeper, right goes to utility tunnels for the brewery, forward used to go to the brewery basement… it’s now backfilled. Left from the backfill is a small hallway; see ‘Backfill Self Portrait’. Center-Right: Utility tunnels tie knots between the brewery’s demolished basement and its caves. Right: Most of the storage volume is in large chambers down this causeway.
With an office like this, the ones food begins to taste more and more like nachos.
A control panel that was mothballed, anticipating a time when the plant may be reactivated.
The blacksmith shop is pretty rugged looking. Through the door you can see the collapsed walkway that might have once connected to a building covering the Santiago Tunnel adit.
From the street, it’s clear that almost every window and door had boards over it, but not every building had a roof. Silly priorities.
The quality assurance labs were no doubt a busy place.