Looking from the mill at the old transfer elevator’s steel tanks.
A pipe bracket seems to have rusted off of the ceiling.
In the mine offices, hooks and a board with numbers was the system to keep track of who was in the mine and who was safe.
The bits with handles are the filters with screens of different sizes. Larger grain particles would be stopped at the top for further reduction via the mills, while the powder at the bottom would be run through another bolter–one of the refinement stages in flour production.
General Mills bought Consolidated Elevator’s “D” in 1943 and renamed it “A,” though no additional elevators have followed from that firm to date. Visible on the right is the first annex, built along with the elevator in 1909.
Looking toward a void–formerly a hallway to the mineshaft–now a hole in the ground.
The Beeghley was launched in 1958… you can see it unloading limestone here with its retrofitted self-unloader. Update: This ship has been renamed the ‘James L. Oberstar’ after the Minnesota Senator. [Read more on Boardnerd.com here: http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/oberstar.htm]
A self portrait from more than a decade ago.
Looking across the whole milling operation from its dedicated powerhouse stretching across Eagle River.