These houses were built for the use of the lighthouse keepers in 1913 (left) and 1916 (right). The second house was added when the entry added a fourth light and required a second rotation. Today, there are no unbroken windows in either building.
A buck-fifty shot for a postcard stand. Taken from the Stone Arch Bridge.
On the National Mine property are two shafts, both serving the same workings. This one seems to have gotten some upgrades in the 1960s, judging from the condition of the metal.
Vents in the boards over the windows helps prevent mold and animals from getting too crazy inside.
Between all of the buildings was dense growth, especially vines.
A facade that tells the story of demolition and neglect. The sign on the garage door indicates that if one finds themselves there, that they enter the buildings at their own risk. If only property owners in the US took this philosophy!
Colleen on the roof.
“It must have been beautiful once.” “Yeah, especially in the winter.”
The St. Louis County Sheriff constantly patrols the property looking for trespassers.