Looking down a manlift on the ore dock side of the elevator. It’s a belt-less belt-o-vator!
Looking out of the top of the grain tower at Duluth.
Part of the Pillsbury tunnel that brought water back to the Mississippi River.
These houses were built for the use of the lighthouse keepers in 1913 (left) and 1916 (right). The second house was added when the entry added a fourth light and required a second rotation. Today, there are no unbroken windows in either building.
From the highest roof of Ogvilvie’s, Thunder Bay looks like paradise.
The pits have long since been filled so the roundhouse could be used for storage.
The back of the castle is barely visible through the trees that have grown thick around the walls, making it look so much older.
Inside the office was a small furnace and a collection of mechanical belts. You can see “SERVICE AT COST” and “POOL 168” in the background.
Two counterweighted elevators moved men between the surface, mine, and underground mill.